MANAGING DIFFICULT EMPLOYEES is challenging, but it can be done! Some people are a joy to work with and others are not. This is hardly an original observation. As a manager, however, you can’t stand idly by and watch as difficult people disrupt your work environment, because it never favours business success. Quite the contrary is true. The antics difficult people pull are often enough to anger even the saints among us. Customers, clients, company executives, co-workers, vendors — anyone and everyone is a potential target for abuse. And abuse is not too strong a word. So, what makes problem employees think it’s okay to behave in such destructive ways? After all, these people are collecting pay checks from the company, and you would think they would perform admirably, if for no other reason than to ensure their job security and keep those pay checks coming. Many managers have pondered the motivations of difficult employees, and you’ll find some explanations in this course.
More importantly, though, you’ll discover tips, strategies, and techniques for coping with difficult people, and figure out their motivation factors.
Learn to teach others how to be better listeners and communicators through role modelling.
Minimize conflict and deadlocks by learning the skills necessary to handle difficult people.
Integrate learned skills with client and employee behaviours to enhance their personal effectiveness.
Increase your effectiveness in all business situations where dealing effectively with peers, subordinates, and superiors is required.
Learn to help others focus on interests and not take positions.
Increase their confidence and belief in themselves.
Enhance communications through the development of a common language.
Turn adversarial situations into welcome opportunities to communicate openly and effectively.
Understand and deal with the issues important to all parties in daily communication situations.
Deal effectively with passive aggressive individuals
After completing this course, participants will have learned to :
Identify root causes of difficult behavior
How to approach and manage difficult people
Understand particular types of Behavior
How to deal with Passive and Aggressive Behavior
Use the right tool and techniques to deal with difficult situation
Dealing with workplace conflicts
Recognize different attitudes
Handle stressful situation
Understand company policies
Leaders at all levels from supervisors to senior executives and managers.
Anyone who needs to learn how to manage difficult colleagues at work.
Duration : 2 Days
– Introduction and Ice breakers – Pre-Test – Sampling of difficult behaviours provided by participants – The angry workplace – Situations leading to bad behaviour – Ten categories of difficult behaviour and their motivations – Active and passive reactions to difficult colleagues – Four strategies for managing difficult people at work – Group activity – Applying the strategies – Task focus and people focus behaviour – Four main intentions that induce difficult behaviour – Case study – Identifying good intentions that result in bad behaviour – Video presentation – A summary of learning points and strategies
– Review of learning points from previous session
– Analysis of personal encounters (individual sharing)
– Blending and Redirecting strategies
– Harnessing our visual and vocal skills to influence others
– How to apply listening skills in managing negativity
– Listening skills exercise – self evaluation
– Managing negativity and emphasising common ground
– Surviving through skilful communication – Video
– Groups activity – How to apply communication skills
– Bringing out the best in people at their worst
– Self-analysis – Are you a difficult person?
– Post Test
– Summary and concluding remarks